- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only entries containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., education OR research
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., archive ((journal OR conference) NOT theses)
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "open access publishing"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. online -politics or online NOT politics
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., soci* morality would match documents containing "sociological" or "societal"
undated; Letter from Laura E. Nance to Sallie Fair
undated; Letter from Mary Butler Fair [Newberry, S.C.] to Sallie Fair
1861-09-23; Letter from M. D. Fair (Abbeville, S.C.) to Simeon and Mary Butler Fair...
[18--?]-05-25; Letter from W. D. Rutherford (Shady Grove) to Sallie Fair
1860-10-10; Newsprint scrap from the New York Herald
1861-06-09; Letter from Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.) to W. D. Rutherford
1862-04-22; Letter from Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.) to W. D. Rutherford
1864-10-23; Letter from D. V. Wardland[?] (Abbeville) [S.C.] to Simeon Fair
1863-08-22; Letter from M. D. Fair (Abbeville) [S.C.] to Mary Butler Fair [Newberry, S.C.]
1866-02-02; Letter from W. M. Lawton (Charleston) [S.C.] to Mary Butler Fair [Newberry,...
undated; Letter from Gertrude (Bartow, Jefferson County, Ga.) to [Sallie Fair]
undated; Envelope addressed to Miss Sallie Fair, unattached to letter
undated; Letter from Sallie Fair to Mary Butler Fair (Newberry, S.C.)
1861-09-25; Newspaper article from the Daily Enquirer
1861-10-14; Letter from Lottie Reynolds [McCord] (Columbia, S.C.) to Sallie Fair
1896-06-11; Envelope unattached to letter
1860-11-02; Receipt for payment made by S. Jiss[?]
1866-02-20; Promissory note with Mary Butler Fair as the borrower
1860-12-29; Letter from J. F. Eisenmann & Co (Columbia, S.C.) to W. D. Rutherford
1862-12-17; Telegram from A. W. Thompson (Richmond, Va.) to Simeon Fair (Columbia, S.C.)
1864-08-04; From W. D. Rutherford (Camp 3 S.C.) To Sallie Fair Rutherford
1861-06-00; Morning Report of Capt. J.D. Nance (Columbia, S.C.)
1892-10-09; From Sara (Newberry, S.C.) To Mary Butler Pope (Baltimore, Md.)
1861-04-26; From W. D. Rutherford (Camp Ruffin) To Sallie Fair
1859-11-03; Receipt to Mrs. Mary [Butler] Fair (Newberry, S.C.) from Assignees [of...