- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only entries containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., education OR research
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., archive ((journal OR conference) NOT theses)
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "open access publishing"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. online -politics or online NOT politics
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., soci* morality would match documents containing "sociological" or "societal"
undated; Letter from James D. Nance to Sallie Fair
1896-03-15; Letter from S. E. McQueen (Eutaw) [Ala.] to Sallie Fair
1861-08-14; Letter from James D. Nance (near Vienna, Virginia) to Mary Butler Fair...
undated; Account of purchases
1861-07-24; Letter from Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.) to W. D. Rutherford
1862-01-02; Letter from M. W. N. to Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.)
1862-05-18; Letter from Gussie (Columbia) [S.C.] to Sallie Fair
undated; Letter from John K. Nance to Sallie Fair
1869-11-12; Letter from Fannie H. Trenholm (Charleston) [S.C.] to Sallie Fair
1862-09-16; Letter from M. W. Fair (Autaugaville, Autauga County, Ala.) to Sallie Fair
1871-02-17; Letter from Fannie H. Trenholm (Charleston) [S.C.] to ""My Dear Friend""...
[18--?]-07-26; Letter from M. W. Fair (Brussels) [Belgium] to Sallie Fair (Newberry)...
1894-04-17; Letter from M. D. Wightman (Charleston, S.C.) to Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.)
1862-07-27; Letter from Thomas B. Rutherford to Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.)
1868-01-23; Letter from Merry Thomson[?] (Manila) [possibly Manila, Ala.] to Sallie Fair
1864-09-11; Letter from Fannie Trenholm (Charleston) [S.C.] to Sallie Fair
1862-01-19; Envelope addressed to Miss [Sallie?] Fair, unattached to letter
undated; Envelope addressed to Mrs. W. D. Rutherford, unattached to letter
1862-01-08; Envelope addressed to Miss [Sallie?] Fair, unattached to letter
1892-01-16; Letter from Y. J. Pope (Columbia, S.C.) to Sallie Fair (Newberry, S.C.)
1864-10-00; From C. B. Mazyck To Mrs. [Mary B.] Fair
1859-00-00; From W. D. Rutherford (Newberry, S.C.) To Miss Sallie Fair (Columbia, S.C.)
1893-04-09; From Mary Butler Pope (Baltimore, Md.) To F. J. Pope and Judge Y. J. Pope
1861-05-27; Furlough Slip for Robert Fair (Camp Johnson)
1860-05-14; South Carolina. Sate Court of Appeals certification to practice law...