- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only entries containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., education OR research
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., archive ((journal OR conference) NOT theses)
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "open access publishing"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. online -politics or online NOT politics
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., soci* morality would match documents containing "sociological" or "societal"
[Envelope; August 30th 1863]
The Widower's Bedding
[Letter; 28 Aug. (18)63, (Eliza M. Smith), to Emma (Izard, Augusta, Ga.)]
[Letter; 25 July (18)64, Charleston, S.C., Edward Laight Wells, to 'My Dear Mother'...
Epitaph on the Confederate Dead
[Letter; 21 July (1864), Stuart Hosp(ital), (E.M. Smith), to Emma (Mrs. Allen S. Izard)]
[Letter; 16 Feb. (ca. 1866-1867), S(abina) E. Wells, to Edward (Laight Wells,...
A woman's song to woman
There's no death of kindness
[Letter; 'Mother' to 'Children']
[Letter; 9 Aug. (18)64, Lucerne, John Wells, to 'My Dear Aunt,' and S.E. Wells, to Julia]
[Letter; 13 Mar. 1856, Milwaukee, (Wisc.), John Wells Jr., to (Edward Laight Wells)]
[Letter; Eliza M. Smith, to 'Girls']
[Letter; (28 Feb. 1864, Augusta, Ga.), Eliza Middleton Huger Smith, to 'Dear children']
[Letter; 4 Mar. (1861), Savannah, Ga., Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to Mother]
[Letter; 20 Apr. (1861), Evelyn, Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to Father, (New Brunswick, N.J.)]
[Letter; 12 Jan. (18)64, In Camp near Charleston, S.C., Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to...
A Feeble Tribute to the Memory of our Honored General, Stephen Elliot
[Verses and Letters of J. Allen Smith]
The Song of the Camp
The Yankee's National Hymn