- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only entries containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., education OR research
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., archive ((journal OR conference) NOT theses)
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "open access publishing"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. online -politics or online NOT politics
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., soci* morality would match documents containing "sociological" or "societal"
[Letter; 1 Sept. (1863, Greenville, S.C.), Eliza M. Smith to Emma (Izard, Augusta, Ga.)]
[Letter; 27 and 29 Apr. (18)63, Greenville, S.C., Anna M(ason) Smith, to Isabella (M....
[Numerical Sequence of Numbers]
All Known to Thee
[Letter; 6 Aug. (18)64, Cordesville, S.C., Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to 'My Dear Mother'...
[Letter; 22 June 1877, D.E. Huger Smith, to Mrs. W. Mason Smith]
[Letter; Possible excerpt from another letter]
The Maiden's Choice
[Letter; 16 May (18)65 Greenville, S.C., Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to 'My Dearest Mother'...
[Letter; 23 Aug. (1864), Nuits, Marie, to 'Dear Cousin Julia' (Mrs. Thomas L. Wells,...
The History of England
[Letter; 24 Dec. 1862, Greenville, Eliza Middleton, Huger Smith, to Isabella Johannes...
[Letter; 21 Jan. (1864) Camp of the Ch(arleston) L(ight) Dragoons, Edw(ard) Laight...
[Letter; 23 Feb. (1861), Savannah, Ga., Edw(ard) Laight Wells, to (Mrs. Thomas L....
[Letter; 30 May 1863, Charleston, S.C., E.P. Smith (Mrs. Robert) to Bell (Isabella M....
[Letter; 1 Aug. 1864, Augusta, Ga., Louis Manigault, to Lt. W(illia)m Mason Smith]
Look unto Jesus
[Invite for the Wedding of Lelia Barbaud and Dr. William Elliot Huger, Jr.]
Knitting the Socks
[Letter; 19 Aug. (1864), Richmond, Va., Bell, to 'Dear Aunt Emma']